Sandra 's Reviews > The Mote in God's Eye

The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven

Dec 06, 10

bookshelves: audio, scifi
Read from November 30 to December 05, 2010

I listened to this book, and although the narrator, L.J. Ganser, barked it out like a sports announcer, it was engaging, suspenseful, and quite funny at times. The narrator was not a distraction once I got used to his style.

The human space explorers seemed incredibly naive and stupid at times in their trust of an alien species, to whom they gave human attributes without questioning their own assumptions. This was a little distracting from the suspense, as I knew something bad was coming.

The best part was the first half of the book when they visited the alien planet and became acquainted with the aliens. The second half was less interesting when they returned to their home system and brought an alien ambassador with them. The ending seemed a little contrived and anticlimactic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mote in God's Eye.

12/01/2010
10.0% "I wonder if I read this years ago? I know I read something by Larry Niven. So far ok, if dated technology wise. Also wonder why society in 3000+ seems to have the same dated ideas about women as in the 50's? And why do so many scifi books have 'lords' and 'ladies' and other trappings of nobility in their societies?"
12/04/2010
35.0% "This book is a hoot. The humans appear awfully naive and base their assumptions about the Moties on human standards. Methinks peril awaits."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly I am now trying to imagine an audiobook narrated like a ball game. And cracking up laughing.

Sandra Kelly wrote: "I am now trying to imagine an audiobook narrated like a ball game. And cracking up laughing."

It is pretty funny. :D

message 3: by new_user (new)

new_user LOL! I was trying to imagine the same! Hilarious!