Abby's Reviews > Celebration of Discipline: The Path to Spiritual Growth

Celebration of Discipline by Richard J. Foster

Nov 30, 10

bookshelves: for-school
Read in November, 2010

Foster's style and quality of writing leave much to be desired. It seems to me that, as he wrote, he thought very little of his reader. The tone is not engaging or endearing, and he speaks to a very narrow audience (namely: married, white, middle-aged or older men)

The writing is easy to understand, but it is boring and poorly executed. He does have some valuable things to say, but the reader has to sift through many meaningless and wordy passages. He also insults his reader several times, albeit unintentionally. He insulted me once for being a teenager, once for being a woman, once because he misquoted scripture, and several times for bad grammar. I skimmed through most of it, with a negative opinion of it. However, when I got to the very last chapter, about Celebration, I actually cared about what he was saying, and I appreciated the chapter very much. It is possible that, since the disciplines are so varying, each person may have something valuable to glean from this book.

I just can't quite understand why this book has been, and continues to be, so well-received.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Celebration of Discipline.