All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Demon Song

Feb 28, 11

bookshelves: reviewed-by-abigail
Read in February, 2011

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

*Spoilers for previous books in this series*
DEMON SONG masterfully juggles multiple storylines all revolving around the cool-as-they-come Celia Graves who by this book is a bodyguard who has survived a vampire attack, learned she’s a half siren princess, and discovered that she has an unliftable demon death curse.

As with the previous Blood Singer books, DEMON SONG is masterfully plotted. Every moment, character, and discovery has a significant purpose. It is unbelievably satisfying to read a series where you know the ending of each book has been planned out perfectly to peak at just the right moment.

Speaking of satisfying, one thing that I just loved about this installment was the inclusion of the Atlantis legend. The mythical island plays a key role in the story. Some fun twists and new magical explanations for it’s disappearance link both sirens and demons, which of course put Celia smack dab in the middle of the action.

Of the three Blood Singer novels, DEMON SONG is by far the most romantic to date. Celia is dealing with her unwanted siren attraction, and for the first time in her life she has two men pursuing her: her ex-fiancé Bruno, and the enigmatic John Creede. Both mages, both evoke very different responses from Celia, and neither one appears willing step down. And since Celia’s life never slows down long enough for her to eat regularly (dangerous for a vampire) let alone to consider who she wants to be with, the romantic tension stays taut throughout the book.

Overall, this is another thrilling urban fantasy led by a character whose ongoing battle to balance the magical and mundane aspects of her life is endlessly entertaining. The plot is intricate and layered with romance, heartache, and explosive magical action sequences. But it’s the world building which is dense and ever expanding in new and exciting ways--this time including the legend of Atlantis--that makes DEMON SONG my favorite of the series and has me eagerly awaiting the next Blood Singer book.

Sexual Content:
A magical sex scene that is mildly graphic.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Demon Song.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Becca Hey I was just wondering since you read this book already what the deal is with Kevin and Celia. Does it explain they're relationship because in the first book I got a more than friends vibe and then the second he betrayed her. So I was just wondering if I'm off on the whole more than friends vibe?

All Things Urban Fantasy I was wondering about that too, but no, nothing more about their past this time.

Becca Ahh crap..I really want to know. I feel like he's the most obscure character always gets mentioned but never really says anything about him. Thanks anyway!