Melissa's Reviews > Personal Demons

Personal Demons by Lisa Desrochers

Sep 29, 12

bookshelves: trilogy
Read from September 05 to 29, 2012

After hearing so many praises for this trilogy, I'm still confused as to why I didn't enjoy it as much as my friends did. It might have been because of my high expectations or it could have been because I'm starting to get really tired of love triangles no matter how well-played they are or it could just be because of the frame of mind I was in while reading this book.

I think it was a combination of all three.

My friends really liked the trilogy and kept on telling me to read it since it was so good, which was ironic because I'm the bookworm of the group and I had yet to read the one book that they really enjoyed. And I could totally see why they liked PERSONAL DEMONS so much.

Frannie was an awesome character. She could defend herself both mentally and physically. She had her strengths and she had her faults. And even though she was special, she wasn't a complete Mary Sue.

Luc was definitely interesting. Reading about both his and Frannie's personal growth was really amazing, and while Gabriel didn't play as huge of a part as Luc did, he was still essential to the plot. However...I still didn't like the love triangle between them all.

I mean, yeah, I can see Frannie's indecision since she had an angel and a demon both after her heart for their own reasons... but still. I think I wasn't that interested because I knew that she was going to spend most of the book torn between having to choose someone. I was proven wrong, because she actually did choose someone, but the other one is still around, and this is a trilogy so. Enough said.

But the plot was definitely original. It didn't have any surprising plot twists, but it diverge from my original expectations of the storyline, and the ending part was also unexpected.

I would like to say that I wasn't in the right frame of mind for reading this kind of book when I started because I was more in the mood for something action-y, but I would be lying because PERSONAL DEMONS did have plenty of action and suspense in it. I guess the love triangle turned me off. I think I didn't want to read anything that focused so heavily on love at the time, which was why I zipped through Darren Shan's ZOM-B so quickly in between reading this book. Or it could be that I'm finally slowly becoming disinterested with paranormal romance now since it has been a while since I've read any.

I don't know. College has made it difficult to find time to read when all you want to do is laze around and watch youtube videos in your free time. :P
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Personal Demons.