Amber's Reviews > A Date You Can't Refuse

A Date You Can't Refuse by Harley Jane Kozak

Jan 06, 11

bookshelves: tlgp-book-club, chick-lit, female-leads, whodunit
Read in January, 2011

An interesting selection by my book club this month. I'd never heard of the author/series beforehand, so I went into this with no expectations. All in all, it was a fun, light, easy read. No heavy thinking required. The characters are well-defined and unique, which I enjoyed. I didn't enjoy the plot, though - the lead character seems to happen into peculiar situations as opposed to being an actual sleuth. Like, when someone writes a message in Russian in your lip pencil on a mirror, don't you run to a dictionary to figure out what the message is? Not Wollie. She sits and idles on it for 150 pages, which I find unbelievable - but a necessary mechanic to help the story drive to its conclusion. I've heard lots of comparisons between this series and Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum Series. I definitely see the likeness, but I'm not a fan of Plum at all, and probably won't be picking up any of the other books in this series, either.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Date You Can't Refuse.