Cory's Reviews > Not That Kind of Girl

Apr 20, 11

Recommended to Cory by: Tatiana
Recommended for: Fans of Sarah Dessen and Elizabeth Scott
Read on April 20, 2011, read count: 1

Eh, not bad. Kind of heavy on the messages though. And the cover is misleading. This isn't really heavy on the romance. Thankfully, it focuses more on girl/girl friendships. The first 1/3rd was four-star material. In fact, it reminded me of Saving Francesca. The second half was two-star material. It was very All-American Girl.

I don't agree with a lot of the messages, and only two characters really stood out: Spencer and Natalie. The rest were two-dimensional. Autumn had potential, but the message behind her story really confused me. So you can't juggle your social life with your school work--ignoring the fact that school is for learning, not for sex.

This hit on quite a few problems, but it didn't deliver. There was too much demonization and not enough payback. I wanted Mike to suffer even more. And I wanted a deeper discussion of female sexuality. This is somewhere in between a Sarah Dessen book and a John Green book. Sarah Dessen has the better catalog, but Looking for Alaska blows her books out of the water. But That Summer would be a good follow up to Not That Kind of Girl.

This is great of example of why boys don't read more. I don't know why this would appeal to them. Either you're an asshole, like Mike, or you're the everyman, like Conner. Everything was so black and white. And we wonder why teenage boys don't read YA. It should be kind of obvious.
13 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not That Kind of Girl.

Tatiana Just for the record - can't say I recommend the book. Like you said, Cory, the message is unclear and there is a lot of villanizing of teen boys.

Cory Tatiana wrote: "Just for the record - can't say I recommend the book. Like you said, Cory, the message is unclear and there is a lot of villanizing of teen boys."

I'd definitely recommend The Ruby Oliver series over this. I read it on your recommendation, and it's superior. I can't stand when one sex is made out to be worse than the other. It's ridiculous and gets feminism nowhere.

Cory Oh, and I didn't mean that you actually recommended it. I meant that I read it because of your review.

Tatiana I am quite tired of such portrayal of feminism. Feminism does not equal man-hating.

Lamia I agree with everything you said. It's like you took the words right out of my mouth. I really liked the first part of the book, but the second fell a little flat for me. And I still haven't figured out what the author wanted to convey with Autumn's situation. The way she writes it makes it look like Natalie is the only one to blame for Autumn's lack of social life, which I think is a little ridiculous. I was very confused.

Synesthesia (SPIDERS!) So true. Feminist are not a bunch of amazons running around with blades wanting to castrate men.
Many feminists LIKE men. A lot in fact.

Tatiana I think it would be unfair to blame Natalie for Autumn's situation. Granted, Natalie said some bad things to her, but she was at Autumn's side through her troubles when nobody else was. Ultimately, Autumn made her own choices.

message 8: by Lyndsey (last edited Apr 21, 2011 07:41PM) (new)

Lyndsey Even men can be feminists. Ahem - Joss Whedon. He is such a feminist. Buffy, Echo, Fray. All his female character's strength far outweighs that of the male characters.

Angela @Cory: I had a similar reaction to this book, though I haven't found the time yet to write up my review. I thought that the author was going very good places with her discussion of sexuality but then it ended up a muddled mess without any clear message or point.

message 10: by Cory (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cory Angela wrote: "@Cory: I had a similar reaction to this book, though I haven't found the time yet to write up my review. I thought that the author was going very good places with her discussion of sexuality but th..."

If you ever write your review, I want to read it. I did want to go into a further analysis of Conner. It just rubbed me the wrong way that he hung out with Mike. The company you keep as they say. And the fact that Conner told Mike about his relationship with Natalie although she insisted that it stay private also seemed kind of off -- especially since Mike was a douchebag and he knew it. I love some aspects of it though -- and I'll probably integrate them into my future writing projects, but I'll take the ending as something that I won't emulate. Sorry for the rambling.

message 11: by Angela (last edited Apr 23, 2011 11:04AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angela @Cory: Not rambling at all. I also thought there was a conflict with Connor being such a good guy while still being friends with Mike, but I have seen stranger things happened.

What bothered me most about the plot development was Natalie's sexual relationship with Connor after her open denouncement of Autumn's relationship. Even though I understand that it was possibly to show her development in her own personal recognition of her own sexual desires and the ability to balance that with school, it didn't ring true for me. I think her willingness to be sexual with someone would have been more believable in this story if it had come out of a relationship of some sort. Like she could have seen that being intimate with someone and being vulnerable was something that could be good and non-manipulative as opposed to her just seeing it as a way to manipulate someone else (which is what I think she did with Connor). She goes from their second night of making out and telling Connor that he can't touch her breasts to having him touch all of her within a week or two. We never see what made her change her mind, even if it was simply lust and desire.

message 12: by Cory (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cory @Angela: (view spoiler)

Angela @Cory: You must inform me of how to do the fancy-pants hiding of the spoiler link that you created. That would be so helpful for me to use in times like these. :)

I agree with everything else that you've added. I'm just hoping that I can sum that up into something coherent and non-spoilery when I do get around to writing my review. I can't compare this to the Duff b/c I haven't read that yet. Would it be worth my time in your opinion?

message 14: by Cory (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cory Angela wrote: "@Cory: You must inform me of how to do the fancy-pants hiding of the spoiler link that you created. That would be so helpful for me to use in times like these. :)

I agree with everything else that..."

You do it like this < spoiler > spoiler >, just get rid of the spaces and add your text between the tags.

As for The DUFF, I don't think you'd enjoy it. I'm a teen, and I didn't like it that much. It's an average read that I don't think anyone over 25 would really enjoy unless they really, really want to read about high school and escapism sex. I'd say it's a subpar version of this and the writing is of a lower caliber.

message 15: by Hayden (new)

Hayden I'm a teenage boy! Exclude me. :-)

Angela @Cory: HTML coding for spoilers?! Awesome.

RE: THE DUFF: Even as an adult, I enjoy most things YA/teen because of my personal and professional interests, but I think I'll give this one a pass for me now based on your report.

message 17: by Cory (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cory Angela wrote: "@Cory: HTML coding for spoilers?! Awesome.

You should just read the preview to see if you'd enjoy it. Sometimes I'm really harsh on books. Here's a recent interview with the author, http://www.phoebenorth.com/2011/04/23...

Angela @Cory: Thanks for the link! I'll check it out sometime when I'm not supposed to be doing other things (like the take-home exam I should be doing right now...).