Kathryn's Reviews > Albert

Jun 01, 12

bookshelves: childrens-picture-books
Recommended to Kathryn by: Jeannette
Read in June, 2012

Such a wonderful, beautiful, touching story! I'm struggling to write a review because I just loved this so much and it's hard to put into words all the feelings I experienced while reading it. On the one hand, it's a very real story about a young man who struggles with anxiety about leaving his home--he always wants to go, but something frightens him and makes him feel that he would much rather stay inside and do things. He tends to think of all the negatives in the world. On the other, it's a rather fantastical story about a pair of birds who build a nest in Albert's hand one day when he is leaning out the window of his apartment. Because he is such a kind, gentle individual, Albert stays with the bird nest in his hand while the mother bird lays her eggs and the father bird brings food... he stays until the eggs hatch. And while he stays at the window, he can't help but look out at the world, and realize something he hadn't realized before...

I don't want to give away the ending, but it's beautiful! While I think here Albert is just meant to be a bit shy and a homebody, I couldn't help but maybe he could also represent someone with Asperger's or or other syndromes where social interaction seems intimidating. I don't know particulars so I may be wrong, but it does seem like maybe this would be a good book for some children who, for whatever reason, find going out into the world a bit scary or intimidating. In any case, I think many of us can relate to how sometimes the world seems like a negative, scary place yet we can also find such beauty, such kindness, and many great surprises if we take the time to look and to be involved. The illustrations are a perfect complement to the story--I love Jim LaMarche!

Dedicating my review, with many thanks to Jeannette, you know why ;-)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Albert.

Lisa Vegan Definitely! Thanks, Kathryn. About to add, and then will immediately check the library.

Lisa Vegan Ooh, and I just added this and three of her other books on my shelves to my gr-authors shelf. I wish we were somehow informed when our shelved books authors' joined Goodreads. More and more seem to be joining, which is very exciting.

Kathryn That's exciting, Lisa! Her name sounds familiar to me, but I can't seem to remember actually reading any of her other books. This one was wonderful, though. I'd definitely try more of her work. And, Jim LaMarche, well, I'm already a huge fan :-) Hope you can get the book and that you love it.

Kathryn Oh, wait! She did Ready to Dream! That's probably why her name seems familiar. I liked that book, too, but I loved "Albert"

Lisa Vegan I liked that one too, Kathryn. Here are the 4 I have on my shelves, 2 to-read, I think:

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you, Kathryn, for bringing me back to this wonderful book. :)

Kathryn Jeannette wrote: "Thank you, Kathryn, for bringing me back to this wonderful book. :)"

:-)

Kathryn Abigail wrote: "A lovely review - thanks for the recommendation, Kathryn! Albert holding the bird's nest reminds me of Dr. Seuss's Horton..."

Yes! I didn't think of that when I read it, but you're right. Hope you will enjoy the book and I'm glad you liked my review.