Stacey's Reviews > Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson

Jan 23, 2008

it was ok
Recommended for: people I dislike.
Read in January, 2008

I wasn't blown away by anything about this book. Maybe it's because it's been built up as such a classic or maybe it's because it's just bad. I don't think it was bad because I thought it was so out there and wild and crazy. I thought it was bad because it pretended just writing about being wild and crazy makes it immediately worthwhile. Two guys testing their luck by breaking every law made while in Vegas and doing a bunch of drugs. I need more than this. The book really didn't have a plot. About two-thirds of the way through Thompson seemed to realize this and tried to give the book meaning with the "American Dream" concept, but it flatlined. On top of being pointless, it was also choppy.

One good thing about the book: it was short and quick so I was able to end my suffering in a timely manner.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

02/21/2016 marked as: read

Bobby Burnett He's one of the best vigilante journalists in the world. This is a persons reach into what is nearly dead by now and he used his own life at a catalyst.

message 2: by Joe (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joe This is the best review I've read so far (I also rated this a 2 star before reading your review). Couldn't agree more. Maybe I'll give the movie a go just to SEE the visuals. (I am 30yrs old and read all kinds of books just in case someone was curious to the mindset of my comments LOL).

Jake If you didn't like this one, I suggest against "The Curse of Lono" also written by Thompson, but very bitter and caustic. I thought "Fear and Loathing" was very funny, especially since at that time the Mob was very much a powerhouse in Las Vegas. Your observations about this book are not arguable, but my feelings were very different.