Jenice's Reviews > Dixie Divas

Dixie Divas by Virginia Brown

Dec 12, 10

bookshelves: kindle-free-or-cheapies, cozy, chick-lit
Read from November 30 to December 12, 2010

I couldn't decide between 2 and 3 stars for this one. It is set in Mississippi so has the southern charm I enjoy. Characters named Bitty, Trinket, Kit Coltrane and Jackson Lee, who drink Mint Juleps and sweet tea, use humor to get through life and find the murderer. The writing was just okay, the author used cliche's as 'old as the hills' and wrote them like they were new and never before heard. The plot was a little weak and I didn't care at all about the romance, which is interesting because this author has written in the romance genre, I haven't read any of her other books so I don't know what they are like, maybe she has a hard time mixing the two.

I ended up giving it three stars because I did like Trinket's humor and the friendship between the two women rang true to me, made me miss my girlfriends in fact. It was also refreshing the read about women in my age range who still have some life left to live, are still interested in romance and career. I'm sure the author will get better with experience and this book was free so I can't complain about the price. There are just so many books out there to read, so many cozy mysteries I want to read, that I probably won't spend the time or money on more of the Dixie Diva books, and if you are looking for a fun cozy mystery, a mystery with a little romance, good humor, no graphic violence or sex scenes there are others I would recommend, just check my cozy shelf.

Changed my mind. After seeing the other books I gave 3 stars to I decided this one only deserves two.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dixie Divas.