Roxanne's Reviews > Midnight at the Well of Souls

Midnight at the Well of Souls by Jack L. Chalker

Nov 30, 2010

liked it
Read in November, 2010

The first in the "Well World" series. I accidentally read the second book first, so I wanted to go back and catch up before moving on in the series. Honestly, though, if I'd read the first book first, I'm not sure I would have wanted to keep reading the later books. I *would* have, because it's Jack Chalker, but he kind of blew his wad too early here--Nathan Brazil's character development and ultimate identity are kind of a huge deal to just drop into the first book in a series. That said, I already read the second book (which doesn't include Nathan Brazil except as a side note) and I'm interested in finding out what happens to those characters, so onward I go.

(As a side note, Chalker seems to have caught a case of Niven Syndrome, as evidenced in Niven's later Ringworld books, in which the writer sets up major plot points just so he can make different species of aliens have sex with each other. I mean, I know Chalker has a dirty mind from his other books, but the cross-species stuff is new and inventive. Still not as bad as Niven, though.)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight at the Well of Souls.