Julie's Reviews > Seeds of Turmoil: The Biblical Roots of the Inevitable Crisis in the Middle East

Seeds of Turmoil by Bryant Wright

Dec 17, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction, own, vine
Read from December 12 to 17, 2010 — I own a copy

This book was not at all what I originally expected, and the main reason is because it was written by a Christian pastor. Initially, I was a bit disconcerted with his literal interpretations of the word of God and God’s motives, but as the book progressed, I found I was actually learning about the intriguing history of the conflict in the Middle East. Wright uses Old and New Testament scripture to demonstrate God’s purpose for his chosen people beginning with Abraham, then Isaac, Jacob and Moses. He illustrates how one bad decision (Abraham conceiving Ishmael through Hagar, thus disbelieving God’s promise to deliver him a son through Sarah) created conflict between various tribes/nations/races (the children of Ishmael against the children of Isaac, and eventually descendents of Esau versus those of Jacob). This conflict continued throughout the centuries and various periods in that region, i.e. Babylonian domination, the rise of Islam, etc. I also gained a better understanding of the lineage of various cultures who call the Middle East their home (I was not aware that Iranians are actually Persians, not Arabs). Wright then gives a brief background of the rise of Islam and its general theology. I think he effectively demonstrates why Muhammad is “…the most influential false prophet in the history of man.” Though I myself am not religious, I can appreciate the basic tenets of this book, one being that there are special ties between Christians and Jews because the Jews provided the Christians with their savior, Jesus. Another theory that is addressed is that history repeats itself to fulfill God’s will and to insure the survival of Israel and His Chosen People. While I could agree with Wright that throughout history, Israel has managed to survive against all odds, I did find him a bit “preachy.” I do not share his belief in the second coming as prophesized in scripture, or that tension in the Middle East will continue until that time, but I can agree with the idea that conflict will continue indefinitely based on much of the evidence Wright presented. I was going to give this book 3 stars, but because it really gave me a lot to think about and I could immediately think of about a dozen people I would recommend this to, it deserves 4 stars for exceeding my expectations.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the Amazon Vine program.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seeds of Turmoil.

12/13/2010 page 49