Amanda's Reviews > Eternal: More Love Stories with Bite

Eternal by P.C. Cast

Dec 16, 10

Read from December 15 to 16, 2010

** spoiler alert ** As the introduction by P.C. Cast stated, the market is awash with vampire books, many good any many not so good. While vampire stories aren't really my "thing", if you would like to take a dip in that pool, this anthology could be a way to start.

Now, down to the nitty gritty (overall):
The good thing about this book is that it is an anthology. You get to read 6 different stories by 6 different authors that you might not have picked off the bookshelf at your local bookstore. Its a way to get a feel for their writing style and see if you want to try out one of their full length books.

The bad thing about this book is that it is an anthology. Wait...didn't I just say that was a good thing? I did, but its also a bad thing because you only get a taste and then the story is over. The characters aren't developed and the stories aren't fleshed out. The stories start, introduce you to a character, hope you like them, have a problem, and solve it all nice and neat in about 30 pages or less.

Each story:
The first story is Bloodshed by Claudia Gray. This is probably the story with the most character development. You meet Patrice, she goes through some emotional growth, gets her heart broken, and then its over. Her love interest does a complete about-face, and that is disappointing, and we are introduced to a former lover who is just kind of there. If I came across another book by this author, I would probably pick up to see if it was just that this was a short story that made it "eh".

The next story was Say Yes by Lili St. Crow. I didn't like this one at all. In a short story, the author has to make you care about the character in a short amount of space, but all I really cared about was finishing the story. The main character (whose name escapes me) is a teenage girl who goes to a private school. She goes to a party with her BFF, the BFF meets a guy, tells the girl to leave, and is then found murdered. Shocker, everyone thinks its the guy the girl met at the party. The main girl meets him later on, he turns her into a vampire, she stakes him through the heart, and then its blasted on the news that some other guy killed her friend.

The third story was Letters to Romeo by Nancy Holder, a twist on the Romeo and Juliet saga that we all know, however, in this story, Romeo is a vampire, waiting for his Juliet to be reincarnated. He thinks he finds her in a 15 year old girl (EW---when is mating with a 15 year old ok? NEVER!) and prepares to change her. Turns out she isn't as interested in him as he is in her and she isn't the "real" Juliet.

The fourth story is The Other Side by Heather Brewer, was a twist on the normal vampire stories. The characters are kidnapped and chained in a basement, when the kidnapper comes and takes the boy, and its implied that his blood was drained before he was brought back. Then the girl is taken, but it turns out that the boy and girl are vampires and the kidnappers are human.

The fifth story is Drama Queen's Last Dance by Rachel Caine and is set in a West Texas town where vampires and humans coexist in harmony. The self-proclaimed Drama Queen is Eve, the main character, a goth chick (but just for the fashions) who is dating a vampire rocker, Michael. A hot new vampire blows into town and decides she wants Michael to be her boytoy. Eve does what most females do when confronted with this situation and throws a hissy, but gets her man.

The last book is Thief by Jeri Smith-Ready, about a group of gypsy vampires and the strict rules they live by. Add in some star-crossed lovers, a double-crossing stepfather, a fight, and a boy being changed from a mortal into a vampire to save his life, and you have Thief.

Like I said, anthologies aren't my thing, but that doesn't mean that I won't sit down and read one if its well written, the stories are good, and the characters are relatable. If I may give my personal opinion, this anthology didn't meet those criteria for me. For you, maybe. And thats why I gave it 3 stars, because even though it may not be my cup of tea (for which I would give it a 2), but it might be someone else's (so, I added a point)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eternal.