Lucia The Loyal Book's Reviews > Clockwork Angel

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Nov 30, 2010

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork Angel.

Quotes Lucia The Loyal Book Liked

Cassandra Clare
“That was enterprising," Will sounded nearly impressed.
Nate smiled. Tess shot him a furious look. "Don't look pleased with yourself. When Will says 'enterprising' he means 'morally deficient.'"
"No, I mean enterprising," said Will. "When I mean morally deficient, I say, 'Now, that's something I would have done'.”

Cassandra Clare
“There's plenty of sense in nonsense sometimes, if you wish to look for it.”

Cassandra Clare
“And I behold London, a Human awful wonder of God' He (Will) stared out over the landscape. "Milton thought Hell was a city, you know. I think maybe he had it half-right. Perhaps London is just Hell's entrance, and we are th damned souls refusing to pass through, fearing that what we will find on the other side will be worse than the horror we already know.”

Cassandra Clare
“Will smiled the way Lucifer might have smiled, moments before he fell from Heaven.”

Cassandra Clare
“One must always be careful of books,' said Tessa, 'and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.'

'I'm not sure a book has ever changed me,' said Will. 'Well there is one volume that promises to teach one how to turn oneself into an entire flock of sheep-'

'Only the very weak minded refuse to be influenced by literature and poetry,' said Tessa, determined not to let him run wildly off with the conversation.”

Cassandra Clare
“And I think that you do not understand that sometimes the only choice is between acceptance and madness.”

Cassandra Clare
“There was something peculiarly gratifying about shouting in a blind rage until your words ran out.”

Cassandra Clare
“His steady gaze held hers. His blue eyes were very dark, uniquely so. She had known people before with blue eyes, but they had always been light blue. Will's were the color of the sky just on the edge of night.”

Cassandra Clare
“Inanimate objects are harmless indeed, Mr. Mortmain. But one cannot always say the same of the men who use them.”

Cassandra Clare
“He always lived in his head. He never cared about how things were, only how they would be, someday, when he had everything he wanted. When we had everything we wanted.”

Cassandra Clare
“Let me give you a piece of advice. The handsome young fellow who's trying to rescue you from a hideous fate is never wrong. Not even if he says the sky is purple and made of hedgehogs.”

Cassandra Clare
“If no one in the entire world cared about you, did you really exist at all?”

Cassandra Clare
“Are you implying that shreds of my reputation remain intact?" Will demanded with mock horror. "Clearly I have been doing something wrong. Or not something wrong, as the case may be."

He banged on the side of the carriage. "Thomas! We must away at once to the nearest brothel. I seek scandal and low companionship.”

Cassandra Clare
“They're still looking at him.... At Will..."
"Of course they are.... Look at him. The face of a bad angel and eyes like the night sky in Hell.”

Cassandra Clare
“You point your feet out too much when you walk,” Will went on. He was busy polishing an apple on his shirtfront, and appeared not to notice Tessa glaring at him. “Camille walks delicately. Like a faun in the woods. Not like a duck.”
“I do not walk like a duck.”
“I like ducks,” Jem observed diplomatically. “Especially the ones in Hyde Park.” He glanced sideways at Will; both boys were sitting on the edge of the high table, their legs dangling over the side. “Remember when you tried to convince me to feed poultry pie to the mallards in the park to see if you could breed a race of cannibal ducks?”
“They ate it too,” Will reminisced. “Bloodthirsty little beasts. Never trust a duck.”

Cassandra Clare
“Sometimes," Jem said, "our lives can change so fast that the change outpaces our minds and hearts. It's those times, I think, when our lives have altered but we still long for the time before everything was altered-- that is when we feel the greatest pain. I can tell you, though, from experience, you grow accustomed to it. You learn to live your new life, and you can't imagine, or even really remember, how things were before.”

Cassandra Clare
“She looked up at him with a smile. The smile broke what was left of his resistance - shattered it. He had let the walls down when he'd thought she was gone, and there was no time to build them back up. Helplessly he pulled her against him. For a moment she clung to him tightly, warm and alive in his arms. Her hair brushed his cheek. The color had come back into the world; he could breathe again, and for that moment he breathed her in - she smelled of salt, blood, tears, and Tessa.”

Cassandra Clare
“Sometimes, when I have to do something I don't want to do, I pretend I'm a character from a book. It's easier to know what they would do.”

Cassandra Clare
“He was wearing a look that she found odd and compelling - that amusement that didn’t seem to pass beyond the surface of his features, as he found everything in the world both infinitely funny and infinitely tragic all at the same time.”