Laura C.'s Reviews > The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the World

The Geography of Bliss by Eric    Weiner

1972680
Nov 29, 2010

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in November, 2010

Eric Weiner is a foreign correspondent for NPR. Eric Weiner writes the way I would write, if I would write better. You can't get NPR here where I live, and I miss it so much that I listen to a fake NPR station from Canada. So it was kind of a perfect storm for me when I found his book on the happiest places on earth. Compiled by the World Database of Happiness in Rotterdam, Sweden, there is actually a list. (No, Disneyland is not on it.) Naturally the Netherlands are on it. So is Thailand. And Iceland, the lucky devils. (They subsidize their writers.) Moldova is not on it. (Not to be confused with Moldavia of "The Princess Diaries".) I thoroughly enjoyed Mr Weiner's travels thru and analysis of some of these places of "Subjective Well Being". It made me think. I took notes. I even extracted quotes. I'll end with one of my favorites from Robertson Davies: "If you are not happy you had better stop worrying about it and see what treasures you can pluck from your own brand of unhappiness." And there you go.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Geography of Bliss.

message 1: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate This sounds delightful. And I love the Robertson Davies quote. For many years he has been on my guest list at the "if you could invite anyone" dinner party.

Laura C. Now I truly must google him!

message 3: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate I read Fifth Business in 1970 when it came out and fell in love. Then went on to read The Manticore and World of Wonders as they were released over the next few years. They are witty, deep, gripping and entertaining. What a mind! I suppose he was my fist introduction to magical realism, though we didn't call it that at the time. Meanwhile, The Geography of Bliss is on my 'to read' list. Thank you.

Martin85 Actually, I think you'll find that Rotterdam is in the Netherlands, not Sweden. But that's okay.