Brittney Musick's Reviews > Stolen: A Letter to My Captor

Stolen by Lucy Christopher

Sep 13, 11

bookshelves: read-2011, 1-young-adult, audiobook, genre-realistic-fiction
Read from September 08 to 13, 2011

I have to be honest and admit that I feel a bit conflicted about this book. The beginning drew me in pretty quickly, but then my interested waned for a bit. Sometimes I felt like I just needed to soldier on and get through it, but then something seemed to change. I don't know if the problem was within in me or if the story itself just started to pick up, but for whatever reason, I picked it up and finished the last half in a few hours.

Despite my initial issues with the book, I actually really liked it in the end. It was a lot to take in, for sure, but despite being a book about a girl that's kidnapped, it was actually a very beautiful story.

More than anything, I think the setting was what sold me. Since the majority of the book consists only of Gemma and Ty, alone in the desert, the desert was really another character. It was really very interesting beautiful while at the same time it was a vast prison for Gemma, who just longed to go back home to London.

As far as heroines go, I thought Gemma was really admirable. As dire as the situation was and as hopeless as it often felt, she didn't give up. Her confusion was also very understandable.

Ty was a scary character because he wasn't the typical creepy kidnapper. He was good looking and initially charming. It's very unsettling to think of someone who is the "bad guy" in such a way.

I also thought the way the story was told was quite interesting. It's written as a letter from Gemma to Ty, rehashing the experience. I thought that really lent itself to some interesting story telling because it wasn't broken up into chapters, which actually kind of threw me off at first, but I eventually grew to appreciate.

This turned out to be a very thought provoking book, but I could see how it might not be for everyone. My sister actually started to read it some months ago and couldn't get through it for whatever reason. I have a feeling this is one of those books that I wouldn't really know how or who to recommend it to because it somewhat unusual, but I certainly don't mean that in a bad way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stolen.

09/08/2011 page 5
09/12/2011 page 101
34.0% "I'm not liking this book as much as I thought I would. Right now, I just feel sort of so-so about it. It's not hard to read, but I don't necessarily feel compelled to keep reading it either."
show 4 hidden updates…