Kiera Beddes's Reviews > Monster

Monster by Walter Dean Myers

Nov 29, 10

bookshelves: eng-420, award-winner
Read on November 29, 2010

Genre: courtroom drama, murder mystery
Summary: Steve Harmon is a 16 year old black boy on trial for the murder (or accomplice) of a drugstore owner when the people he was with robbed the store. The story is told from Steve's point of view but in a film script format. Although the reader doesn't know what the other characters are thinking or feeling, the feeling is much more removed than just isolated to one character's viewpoint.
Response: I thought the format was very interesting. It certainly made the reading go by much faster. I used to do "Mock Trial" as an after-school extracurricular activity, so it was interesting to see my little experience from playing witness and lawyer to a written format. I could almost see the movie being played out in from of my eyes. It was a very gripping novel but you don't know for sure if Steve is innocent or what exactly he was doing with Mr. King and Bobo. I had to read the end of the novel before I finished it, just to make sure. I still didn't understand everything that happened, but I felt it was a unique addition to the YA stock.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monster.