Melody's Reviews > Dies the Fire

Dies the Fire by S.M. Stirling

Nov 29, 2010

bookshelves: dystopia, favorites
Read from November 29, 2010 to October 27, 2011

10/11 Reread. As I was reading this I was wondering why I love dystopian fiction so much. Is it the feeling of unsteadiness it gives me in everyday life? Is it that I have a deep and abiding faith in humanity to get it right the second time? Is it that my own life is comfortable? I don't have a solid answer, but this book is one I love. Despite the coincidences, despite the staggering body count complete with graphic descriptions of arrows thumping meatily into flesh & bone, despite the goofy portrait of the Wiccans- it's a book I sink into and embrace.

12/10Solid, engaging apocalyptic dystopia. If you are willing to suspend your disbelief and accept coincidences and luck of the The Clan of the Cave Bear sort, you are in for a rollicking good tale. There's, for instance, a bowyer in every bush when the good guys realize that crossbows are going to be the preferred defensive weapon in the new world- but it works. The body count is astronomical, but in this context not at all gratuitous. The constant, reverent references to Tolkien were delightful.

The characters are likable and interesting, the central conceit fresh and the setting of my own back yard was a bonus. I'm going on to read the rest of the series, for sure. And I anticipate re-reading this as often as I revisit, say, Alas, Babylon or A Canticle for Leibowitz.

Recommended, if you like this sort of thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dies the Fire.

11/29/2010 page 51
9.0% "Mmmm, dystopia. Great big dystopian civilization crash, set in my own back yard." 2 comments
11/30/2010 page 232
39.0% "I should be sleeping. I'm not. :-)"

Muff I've read this one at least 3 times. The first three are the best. Love the Willamette Valley location.

Melody Have you read the brand new one yet?

Muff Melody wrote: "Have you read the brand new one yet?"

Not yet. I'm waiting for it from the library.

Melody Me too.

Muff Do you feel that SM needs to wind up this series?

Melody Yeah, I do. It feels like it could have been two pretty tight trilogies, but he's at, what, eight books now? I assume the ender will be Rudi's death (foretold every five minutes since his birth, more or less) but there's going to have to be some sort of succession plan before he can kill him.

Muff Melody wrote: "Yeah, I do. It feels like it could have been two pretty tight trilogies, but he's at, what, eight books now? I assume the ender will be Rudi's death (foretold every five minutes since his birth, mo..."

He and Maddie will to produce an heir, then he can die gallantly destroying the Cutters.

Melody I totally agree, I just hope it doesn't take 6 more books to get there!

message 9: by Muff (last edited Oct 30, 2011 11:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Muff I'm with you on that!