Brady's Reviews > I Curse the River of Time

I Curse the River of Time by Per Petterson

Jul 10, 11

bookshelves: indiespensable

While I get that the structure of the novel and the narrator's style are intended to convey the awkwardness and loneliness of his character, it felt too heavy handed to me. The extreme lengths to show that the relationship between the mother and this particular son got to be annoying - other brothers are never mentioned by name, but rather as "the brother that came after you," but not the older of those two brothers, the younger. The failing relationship with his wife, with his kids - completely skipped over in favor of repeated episodes highlighting the troubles with his mother. I felt like I was spinning my wheels as a reader, and it only made the protagonist all the more unlikable for me. Then, at the very end of the book, there's a sudden shift for part of a chapter where the narrator/protagonist is omniscient about what his mother is experiencing inside the house while he's outside, and it completely took me out of the book. It's a shame, as there are some beautiful observations, and at times the writing is very effective in evoking mood. But I was raedy to be done with this book pretty early on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Curse the River of Time.