Julie's Reviews > Just the Sexiest Man Alive

Just the Sexiest Man Alive by Julie James

Mar 08, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2010, favorites, read-in-2013
Read from December 02 to 05, 2010

Lately, my reading list has included mostly Urban Fantasy titles and Paranormal Romance titles. I had just finished a book that kind of bummed me out and I needed to read something that was very different than what I’d been reading. A change in direction if you will. So I searched my book closet and noticed my Contemporary Romance pile sitting there looking very lonely. I looked at it and smiled. It smiled back. Okay, maybe not really but I’m sure if it could it would have because it has been a while since I’ve visited that pile. Lately I’ve been looking to my Erotica pile when I needed a change, but this time I thought a nice, light and fun Contemporary was just what I needed. I closed my eyes and took out the first book I touched.

What I pulled out was Just the Sexiest Man Alive by Julie James. I had heard wonderful things about this author so my expectations were quite high. And on top of that I expect a lot from the Contemporary Romance books I read. The story has to be light enough and fun. It must also be sexy and smart. I’m happy to say that not only did the story meet my grueling expectations but so did the author. Her style was wonderful and I really liked the book’s flow, story’s sweetness and the character’s sass.

Just the Sexiest Man Alive is about Taylor Donovan, an attorney from Chicago who specializes in sexual harassment cases. She is sent to Los Angeles by her firm to handle a big case and also to really see what she’s capable of. She wants to become a Partner in her firm (she will be eligible for this in two years) and Taylor is anxious to prove herself. When she is called into her superior’s office and told that she has been chosen to show an actor who will be playing a lawyer in his next movie how to act like an attorney, she says no. After all, she’s in the middle of prepping for trial. But really she was only given the illusion of having a choice. Then she finds out who she is to mentor. Jason Andrews. The biggest most famous movie star in the whole entire world. *gulp*

I really liked Taylor’s character. A very smart and goal oriented woman, she’s though when she needs to be without being a b*tch. She has her professional life planned out, but has not really put any thought into her personal life. Then again, it comes second so why focus on it at all? I loved her wit. I loved how she didn’t let Jason Andrews throw her for a loop. I loved how she was not afraid to put him in his place, even when no one else would. And I loved the dialogue. She never came across as flighty, even when she was put in a slightly compromising situation. Always with it. I really appreciated that about her and I liked Taylor from the start.

Now Jason is a different story. I did not like him much at the beginning of the book. But not because he was written badly. Quite the opposite actually. I did not like him because he was written so well! Jason is the top of the top when it comes to Hollywood actors. You can’t get much bigger than him. The problem is he knows it. He is used to everyone doing whatever he wants whenever he demands it and doesn’t think twice about anyone else. He is a chauvinistic conceited arse. I like that Jason is not too sure how to handle Taylor because she is not acting like everyone else does. Lines like: “Taylor tried not to smile. Ahh…Hollywood. Just when you might think all the stereotypes and clichés aren’t true, you realize, yep – they are.” are further proof that Taylor isn’t falling for Jason’s bull and further reason for Jason to go batty. And when he goes batty, you giggle. But, as you can imagine, there is more to Jason Andrews than the actor who is really, really full of himself. There are many scenes that made me shake my head, a couple that made me shake my fist, but many made me *sigh*. He is a good guy and a fun character to read. I liked getting to know him through this book, and seeing his façade crumble.

And just a quick note, the friends and co-workers in this story were fun. They added to story without taking too much attention away from the main event and helped us see different sides to Jason and Taylor.

I’m pleased by how much I enjoyed Julie’s writing style. The pace was good and you can really tell she has a legal background because the details describing anything lawyer-ish, from the court room proceeding to just the files, were really well done. I am definitely going to read more of her stuff in the future. In fact, I already ordered her book “Practice Makes Perfect” and I can’t wait to break it open…sooner rather than later.

Just the Sexiest Man Alive was just what I needed. A very smart story filled with wonderfully written characters I still thought about days after finishing the book.

11 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just the Sexiest Man Alive.

12/02/2010 page 1
0.0% "My first Julie James. I need something smart and sexy after what I just finished and apparently, this fits that description."
12/02/2010 page 43
15.0% "Yup. I'm going to like this book. Smart and sassy so far."
12/03/2010 page 150
51.0% "This is just what I needed. A light, fun and sassy read. I'm glad Jason is getting put in his place...even though he's not quite seeing it that way. lol"

TheBookVixen I've heard great things about this author. This book is actually on its way to me in the mail. Can't wait to read it :)

Julie I'm really liking it so far. Just a fun and sexy read!

message 3: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Great review! You tempt me to pick this up even though Contemporary books and I do not seem to always get along.

I'm glad this one was better than the last one!

message 4: by Tutti (new) - added it

Tutti Dolci Nice review! I'm adding it to my ever-growing TBR list. I've read very few CRs but I think it's high time that I dove in a bit further.

message 5: by Catherine (new)

Catherine After reading, and enjoying, A Lot Like Love I think I'm going to pick up this one next. :)