Julie's Reviews > Naked in Death

Naked in Death by J.D. Robb

Jan 21, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read in January, 2011

Originally posted here: http://yummymenandkickasschicks.com/?...

I’ve heard a few decent things about this series. I knew it had a bit of a following. After all, there wouldn’t be 31 books out in this series if it weren’t doing okay. But I had no idea exactly how many people loved JD Robb’s (a.k.a. Nora Roberts) In Death books. As I was reading and leaving status updates on Goodreads and Twitter, I was getting fangirl *squee* from some and “OMG I love these books!” from others. I actually made some new GR and Twitter friends just by reading this book! They are crazy about these books…and now I know why.

Naked In Death is amazing! There really is no other word for it. The story is set in 2058, but the futuristic world that that JD has created isn’t too far out of reach or too farfetched. It was easy to read because I could still place the story and the plot lines today. There is no build up to this world. Everything is described and talked about matter of factly. As though we should all be familiar with an AutoChef or the laser guns. I thought writing the world this way was quite ingenious. Then you don’t have a choice but to get sucked right into the story and not get lost in pages upon pages of descriptive passages.

What makes this book incredible is the story, the world and of course the writing. But what does it most of all are the characters. They are unforgettable and top notch.

Eve Dallas is a detective who is very confident in what she does. Even though she has had horrific things happen to her in her past, and is therefore affected by some of the more sensitive cases she is called to, she never lets it get in the way of her job and doing what is right. But away from the job, she is still strong yet very vulnerable. She is not used to relying on anyone, or counting on anyone.

Roarke (no last name) is a very Alpha man. He’s used to getting his way without having to explain himself. When he becomes the prime suspect in the case Eve is working on, he finds himself really wanting her to believe in his innocence. This actually surprises him. He is a lot like Eve in how he is not used to relying on anyone personally. He wants Eve to know Roarke the person and to see that he could be good for her. He could be someone she can rely on. And this is something very foreign to him. If it were the 1990’s, I’m sure he would have said “wtf yo?!” To watch him soften, and to watch Eve relax to him was a pleasure to witness. Here you have two hardcore people finding each other, who just happen to be what the other really needs, even if the other is a little reluctant. It’s a sweet love story, and Eve and Roarke are adorable together. I liked the awkwardness and the uncertainly. It made their relationship that much more appealing.

You didn’t find out a whole lot about Roarke and Eve’s past…or even given much insight as to where their relationship was going exactly. You were teased about it though. Not enough to really tick you off, but just enough to have you want to keep reading the series in the hopes of finding out every last detail about these two. And already Eve and Roarke are dangerously close to ending up on my favorite character list…Yup, already. Usually, it takes me a few books before deciding on that.

The mystery thriller part of this book was great. I had no real idea who was responsible for these crimes, and then the clues that were shown but then rebutted then not…very clever. It kept you on your toes.

Naked In Death is not a light and fluffy romance. So if that’s what you’re looking for just keep on moving. It’s a real romantic suspense/futuristic mystery thriller book. Which means it’s gritty and raw – and not just the story but the emotions too. The murder case is gruesome. But the writing is impeccable and the characters truly are unforgettable. I’m still thinking about them. And I’m starting to see why people refer to this series as being addictive. There are many crazy fans of this series, and their madness is completely justifiable. I’ve only read one book and I’m already there. Now, if I can fit in one book per month, and taking into account that JD Robb writes 2 books per year, I should be caught up with this series in about…*sigh* 2014. But you know what, totally worth it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Naked in Death.

01/10/2011 page 101
33.0% "Oh yes...I definitely see Roarke's appeal. ;)" 22 comments
01/11/2011 page 190
62.0% "I am really Really liking this book. Not only is it my first In Death book, but it's also my first real crime book. And Eve and Roarke are AMAZING characters!!! Love!" 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ctanner Really good. I think the second and third books in this series are my favorites.

message 2: by Kevin Riley (new)

Kevin Riley I've read every book in the series, including the shorts, except the latest one. There are all good. I think Visions in Death was a really good one.

Julie Kevin Riley wrote: "I've read every book in the series, including the shorts, except the latest one. There are all good. I think Visions in Death was a really good one."

I've heard that every book is good. That is quite the feat considering how many books there are! And I'll look forward to Visions in Death. :)

message 4: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna This is on my TBR List so I'm excited to see what you have to say about the series as well!

Mrs. Badass excellent review!

Julie Erika wrote: "excellent review!
I could never get my reviews quite right for this series, so I just rated them all 5 stars.. I know. Fan girlish, but hey, they are worth it!"

Nothing wrong with fangirl love. It's deserved!

message 7: by AH (new) - added it

AH Great review. I'm just scared of starting a series with so many books!

Julie AH wrote: "Great review. I'm just scared of starting a series with so many books!"

I know what you mean. But the one good thing is, because they have been out so long and there are so many, they are more likely to be at the library or the used book store. :)

message 9: by AH (new) - added it

AH Actually, I did buy a copy of book 20 at a church book sale. Now it will sit until I get to it :(

Catherine Nice review. I've only read the first book as well, but I'm looking forward to reading the rest of them. I don't have quite the same love of the characters that a lot of the fans do, but I'm hopeful that'll change as I continue reading.