Jamie Kline's Reviews > The Athena Project

The Athena Project by Brad Thor

Dec 20, 10

bookshelves: shelf-awareness
Read from December 16 to 20, 2010

My opinion: I was so excited to get this book. After reading the synopsis, who wouldn't want to read a book about a group of women who kick butt for a living? The four main characters of this book are Julie, Gretchen, Megan, and Alex. They make up part of a faction of the Department of Defense (DoD) called The Athena Project. It basically goes off of the principal that women are better able to carry out some missions, as they are seen as less of a threat and can slip by unnoticed a lot of the time. Gretchen Casey is kind of the leader of this group, but they're all tough cookies. This book pretty much revolves around some potential terrorists getting ahold of some old Nazi technology: a transporter that could be used to move people...or to send bombs to their enemies. The U.S. government knows that if this horrific technology fell into the wrong hands, it could be catastrophic. So they send in the four women to bring down some of the major players, try to get them to talk and find out whatever they can. Will they be able to stop these madmen before they can unleash their weapons on the world?

I wasn't 100% sure I would like this book much when I first started it...there was a lot of government and military in the beginning, and while I felt it was probably important to the story line, I found it hard to get interested in it. Once the women start going out on missions and taking down the bad guys, it got a lot better. There were quite a few intense action scenes and a lot of humor thrown in along with it. All in all it was a good read, and I hope there will be more books in the future with these characters!

My rating: 4/5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Athena Project.