Denise's Reviews > Black Mamba Boy

Black Mamba Boy by Nadifa Mohamed

F_50x66
Nov 29, 10

Jama is a young boy living on the streets of Yemen in 1935. His father disappeared years ago and when his mother dies, Jama sets out in search of him. He travels all the way to Egypt, having many adventures, meeting outrageous characters, and eventually learning what is really important to him in life. Jama witnesses and participates in historic events and provides a very different perspective on some of the important happenings of that time.

Jama is a likable fellow and I enjoyed traveling with him. He is often funny, sometimes deeply thoughtful, and attracts some interesting people. For me the book was a little unbalanced. I would have preferred a bit less of Jama's search for his father and for wealth and bit more time after he has his epiphany. I felt like I went through all his trials with him only to have the book end before he fully realizes his triumph! Still, the humor and armchair travel make this book worth reading.

I listened to Black Mamba Boy on audio. Kevin Kenerly is the narrator and he has a deep, almost breathy voice that adds to the mystery and atmosphere of the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Mamba Boy.