Robyn's Reviews > The Rivan Codex: Ancient Texts of the Belgariad and the Malloreon

The Rivan Codex by David Eddings

Dec 06, 10

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from December 02 to 04, 2010

I have been a fan of David Eddings ever since I read Pawn of Prophecy 20 years ago. I know that his books are derivative, repetitive, and obvious, but even with all this they are enjoyable and fun to read, rather easy and light.

I have over the years added all the books from the Belgariad and Malloreon to my bookshelves at home. When I recently came across "The Rivan Codex" I wondered why I had never added this book, or even read it. I did recall seeing it in the book store when it was first published but could not recall why I ignored it.
After picking it up at the local library, (thankfully I did not spend any money on this tripe), and after reading through it I remember now why I avoided this book in the beginning.

The book is based upon source material that was written when Eddings was developing the stories. Most of what is written here is not new and can be found in the Belgarath the Sorcerer and Polgara the Sorceress books. It is obvious that this material was written early and much of it not fully developed.

Christoper Tolkien has published most if not all of the source material that his father wrote when developing his books. These are interesting and important to have because of Tolkien importance to this genre and literature in general. David Eddings even though his books are fun to read they are far from important. My thoughts are that this books release was unnecessary other then to drive revenue for the publisher

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rivan Codex.

12/02/2010 page 125