Patrick Gibson's Reviews > The Tomb of Hercules

Nov 29, 10

bookshelves: testosterone
Recommended for: no one
Read in November, 2010, read count: 1 unfortunately

What do you call it when an author sets up a premise and promptly destroys it with a stupid sentence? There must be a term for it. Like ‘shitass?'

For example:

“the scientists were normally able to conduct their explorations with no interference from the outside world.
BUT NOT TONIGHT.”

Or this gem:

“It was not a place where anyone in his right mind would choose to be.
BUT SOMEONE WAS THERE.”

How about:

“The dart guns were designed to fire tranquilizers. But these were loaded with something else.
SOMETHING DEADLY.”

And:

“They were following a set path, meeting up to confirm that all was well before turning back along their patrol routes.
THEY WOULD NEVER MAKE IT.”

Yet:

“There didn’t seem to be any way Chase could rescue Sophia.
BUT HE STILL HAD TO TRY…”

Look. The guy has some interesting ideas that would make a good novel. But he doesn’t have an editor, or friends to proofread and tell him to cut out half the ludicrous moronic action sequences. Cut them because they are annoying, badly written and destroy whatever clever plot lines there might be, could be, should be—if he’d only shut up with the crap and write.

I suffered through his first book with hopes he would improve. Then I realized the second book could be combined with the first and make a pretty decent novel. After cutting at least half out of each. I mean come on… he flunked out of the Clive Cussler School. Never made it past ‘Controlled Action Scenes 101.’

I have a high tolerance for bottom of the horse stable writing when it comes to action adventure—I mean, you sort of know what you are going to get when you crack the cover. BUT NOT THIS TIME!

I am not a writer. Never will be. Never want to be. But I could scratch out better dialogue sitting in a well used port-a-potty on a hundred and five degree day with a severe hangover.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tomb of Hercules.

Jacqueline Man this sums up those books perfectly. I read book one and two and maybe one day if I'm bored I'll go back to the rest. Doubtful but maybe.