Elke's Reviews > Pariah

Pariah by Bob Fingerman

Feb 10, 11

bookshelves: novels, zombies, own, horror, review
Read from January 29 to February 07, 2011

At first sight, the book reminded me of the zombie movie "Rammbock", which I saw on TV recently and enjoyed very much. With a bunch of people barricading themselves against the undead in an apartment block, the story begins very similar, but then they diverge significantly.

As with Bottomfeeder, I expected to get some firsthand information about zombie life from an undead protagonist, but this is not the case with Pariah, which concentrates solely on the living survivors. Regarding the zombies, much is left in the dark - where did they come from etc. Instead, we get very familiar with the residents of apartment complex 1620. Before the girl shows up, everything mostly runs as expected, we have our usual cast of characters - the bully, the nice old couple, a relatively normal guy we immediately sympathize with, and so on. After the girl shows up, of course there is a change in everyone's behaviour, but nothing that happens can surprise us much.

I guess that is my main, and only, criticism: there is no great surprise in the characters' actions and developments, so the general outcome of the story was foreseeable, though not in detail. And that is what makes the story a worthy reading, how these details are filled with sometimes shocking, disgusting (what crazy mind can invent something like flynching!?), but also hopeful and even deeply moving moments. The book was a real page turner and I was still surprised with the ending.

I highly recommend Pariah to any interested readers, whether you are a zombie fan or not - as long as you're not too squeamish.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pariah.