M.'s Reviews > Gone for Good

Nov 29, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: 2010, fiction, audiobook
Read in November, 2010

My parents live 5 hours away. I wanted to give audio books a shot. I work at a library. I thought these three facts would result in me being able to, I don't know, catch up on a classic or something that I'd be too bored to actually read but wouldn't mind listening to, whatever. Of course, there is only a CD player in my car, there is no tape deck. This severely limited my options.

I eventually decided on this because I thought it might be like a cheap thriller movie from the early 90s. I love cheap thriller movies from the early 90s. They are like crack. So, as I got in my car at 8am on thanksgiving, I popped this in.

For the first hour or so I could hardly lose myself to the narrative because I was too distracted by the fucking hilariously terrible writing; the dialog, the asides. If I had been actually reading this I wouldn't have lasted more than ten pages. But, eventually, the ridiculous narrative sucked me in (what else did I have to do?) and I followed it along for all six or so hours of the book.

It was ridiculously, clearly, and terribly written, from what I can tell, but it's decently plotted (if perhaps obvious in its twists), but it's certainly engaging to the degree that it held my interest? Is that redundant? Who cares. Basically, next time I have ten hours of driving, I probably wouldn't be averse to giving Coben another shot.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone for Good.