Chris Hawks's Reviews > Rocannon's World

Nov 29, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: owned, reviewed
Read from August 05 to 08, 2010

A very short, but entertaining, book. Le Guin manages to cram into 150 pages here a story that most authors would spend 500 pages telling. To accomplish this, the story is related as a tale of myth might be told: "five days later they reached the mountains" or whatever, without feeling the need to detail anything unnecessary to the main narrative. As such, the story has a vague, mythic, almost dreamlike quality that resonates in the subconscious longer than any details of the text will. Speaking of the story: you might think from the cover blurb that this will be another unoriginal "Avatar"-style "human goes native/rogue, rallies the natives to take down the technologically-superior bad guys" tale, and the first half or so seems to reinforce the illusion. It's not nearly so rote as that, though, and the swiftness and finality of the rather abrupt ending comes as something of a surprise. With this book, I gave Le Guin one final chance to win me over (after being underwhelmed with the Earthsea trilogy and The Left Hand of Darkness) and I was surprised to discover that she did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rocannon's World.