Scribble Orca's Reviews > hector

hector by K.I. Hope

If you've noticed the tags I've chosen for this book, you're probably wondering if I've made a mistake about the book I think I'm reviewing. A book which should be in its early stages of causing a tsunami in its effects on the way we view sentience. Let those tags be your guide.

A full-disclosure clause, because although I don't know the author, I'm the person about whom she is writing. That's how I feel every day of my life, in my mind, in my reality, as another sentient entity.

To explain the last sentence would mean I have to 'spoiler' my review. So I won't do it except by saying that, in further full-disclosure, I'm not going to read the entirety of this book. Because the reality that Ms Hope describes is what I experience every day, in my mind, when I observe my other fellow sentients, from whom I feel hopelessly, ineluctably estranged. It is a suffering too harsh to bear in the written word as well as in my daily existence.

You'll have to read the book for yourself to understand why Ms Hope has so brilliantly captured what it feels like to be a sentient entity unrecognised.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read hector.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mariel That is how I felt too. I shelved Hector as prison because that's what I think it is. Deciding right and wrong for others. I felt so anxious and suffocated with memories of feeling like that.

I didn't listen to music either. I always listen to music when reading. Not this time. The only thing to hear was that dark.

Great review.

message 2: by Scribble (last edited Nov 29, 2010 05:49AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scribble Orca I'm glad you appreciated the review.

It's difficult to have a talk about this one without letting out the punch line, isn't it?

There are lots of books where I have to stop reading because of the dark. The problem is that those books haven't been written for me, and I still keep thinking I can read them...or I don't understand why the books have been written for others, and the appeal, the illumination, the transcendant revelations simply pass me by.

I think the more people that read Hector, the better. It's a book written for all these people.

Mariel I think Hector is for everyone. It's knowing what happens to someone. Not only the perpetrators and the victims feel the disturbance in the force. Nothing should last forever but boy is it tragic anyone ever has to live like that. I didn't think it mattered who it was. I wuz here 4-ever stuff. I lived Hector even more for not being guilt trip wake up call but a someone was here reality story. It's too late for many (animals and people).

I will read anything as long as it isn't closed door shut out. I feel like that enough already.

message 4: by Carol (last edited Nov 29, 2010 05:45AM) (new)

Carol I added this book, we will see what I think. The library doesn't have it, and I don't know if I want to buy it.

Scribble Orca "It's too late for many (animals and people)...I feel like that enough already."

The only thing I've figured out is to make your own corner of the world glow, and hope that the brilliance you generate fades the dark for others.

I admire Hope for writing this book. It's her way of lighting a candle, I guess.

Scribble Orca Kitty wrote: "I added this book, we will see what I think. The library doesn't have it, and I don't know if I want to buy it."

Kitty, read the other reviews as well - I think the other reviews do a better job of providing some sense of the book. But it is uneasy reading. This is not fiction in the real sense of the word. It's reality disguised as fiction.

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol will do

Mariel That's what I think too. Sometimes it's easier to do that than other times. Books help a lot.

message 9: by Carol (last edited Nov 29, 2010 09:48PM) (new)

Carol It is not a question of liking but of being able to stomach it. I read the excerpt and tummy was heaving. Sorry I am such a wimp.

message 10: by Hazel (new)

Hazel Is it really that bad? ie nauseating?

message 11: by Carol (new)

Carol Read the excerpt and see what you think.

message 12: by Praj (last edited Jan 22, 2011 09:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Praj Nice work! Isn’t it funny how we identify with the depth of suffering only when it hits the core of our reality despite the fact that we choose to ignore the screams that do not belong to us.

Scribble Orca Praj wrote: "Nice work! Isn’t it funny how we identify with the depth of suffering only when it hits the core of our reality despite the fact that we choose to ignore the screams that do not belong to us."

Thanks Praj. I really should just retire and let you write my reviews :D.

message 14: by Praj (last edited Jan 22, 2011 10:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Praj @ G N:- Now, why would you deprive us from evaluating some of your blazing reviews?

@K.I.:-I think you should give a thought of penning manuscripts for the YA genre. With greater part of preposterous gobbledygook that is approved as literature, it is about time realistic sensibilities overtake mythical paranoia.

message 15: by Savvy (new) - added it

Savvy Just downloaded it to my Kindle GN.
You've tweaked my curiosity bone!

message 16: by Scribble (last edited Feb 26, 2013 05:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scribble Orca Praj wrote: "Now, why would you deprive us from evaluating some of your blazing reviews?

@ Praj: Just because you have the better talent for economy of words AND making a point :D.

I agree 100% with KI doing that. We should start a petition.

@Savvy: Good! I shall continue!