Patricia's Reviews > Persuasion

Persuasion by Jane Austen

Apr 29, 08

bookshelves: classics, romance
Recommended to Patricia by: my book group
Recommended for: Tyra Banks if she actually reads
Read in April, 2008

** spoiler alert ** I have to say that Austen's novels are a good read when one is ill. She gives the reader everything they want and always give us a happy ending. I do think that I am beginning to see some common things that run through her novels. In this one I see that she often gives characters good qualties which them posess to a fault. In this one Anne was so helpful that she ended up trying to please other people.

Also, in this novel Austen was extremely direct in her disdain for the class system-... more openly than I have ever read from her. It is fun to see the evolution in her novels as she becomes more and more open about her ideals.

This novels main themes where vanity, wisdom with age and you guessed it... persuasion. I will have to think on the vanity theme more. Espeically considering that Austen even after berating those who are vain through the character of the baraon still describes her hero and heroine as attractive.

I do have a few things that I actually struggled with in this novel. First the bad characters were mere chracitures. Thier descriptions made the Baron to appear foolish, but never anything more. Also I don't think that I have ever noticed it before but the characters are pretty flat. They lack a certain human complexity. Only the protagonist has a slighlty deeper character and it is mostly alluded to through her situation. I think that this story is premature, it was published after Austen died and I think that she would have perhaps developed the characters more had she lived.

I know that the happy endings of her novels are all far fetched, given their defiance of the class system which was a part of Victorian England. But I struggled with Anne's family's ability to accept Frederick at the end of the novel. Either it goes too far or the characters are not develope well enough to adapt and change so dramatically within the context of the story. I think for me it went too far. It is like the one stunt in a fantasy movie that is a bit over the top it bugs me. However, I do enjoy a happy ending. Thank you Austen, I knew I could count on you.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Persuasion.