Andre's Reviews > A Very Lonely Planet: Love, Sex, and the Single Guy

A Very Lonely Planet by Ryan Bigge

Nov 28, 2010

did not like it
Read in November, 2010 — I own a copy

"But lest you dare suggest I'm a loser, please remember you paid twenty bucks for the privilege of reading about my life. Clearly, I'm doing something right." -Ryan Bigge

I'm turning into a hater. And by hater, I mean a person who literally hates stuff. Things, people, and books. I hate that I've had this book on my bookshelf for some 8 months now and have been dying to read it, only to have it end with that last quote.

It saddens me to give a 1 star to this particular book because I've highlighted at least half the book. It's almost like hating your best friend's concert. I genuinely think Ryan Bigge (the Author) and I would get along great, maybe he'd come to my wedding, or at the very least be at my bachelor party...

I got more than halfway through this book and realized that I didn't even know what the book was about. This normally is odd but I read books (watch movies, etc) based on recommendations ONLY (with high probability). I'll even recommend a movie to myself if I know a particular actor is in it, but I don't necessary know what the movie is about.

I can't remember the last time I picked up a book and cared that I had absolutely no idea what in the hell the book was about, or where it was going. In hindsight, I wonder if I'd enjoy the books that I've read a lot more if I knew what they were about before I started reading them. I admit that I would likely have rated this book up if I knew it was a book about the history of singledom. Instead, I got half way through the book before I realized it wasn't possibly another version of Strauss's The Game crossed up with a David Sedaris-like punchline-laden style.

---

One reference (which shocked me because I hadn't heard it prior to last week while reading "The Legend of Zelda and Philosophy"): "Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely." -Lord Acton

One quote: "To be popular with girls, a man must do the wrong thing at the right time."

One chapter: "Past, Present, and Accounted For: Single Guys Through the Ages" (brief history of how sexuality changed between WWII and about 2001, when this book was published)

One page: 143

One symbol: ?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Very Lonely Planet.