RYCJ's Reviews > The Sitting Swing: Finding Wisdom to Know the Difference

The Sitting Swing by Irene Watson

Nov 28, 2010

This is a deeply personal & powerful memoir of a woman seeking to answer a question buried deep inside the most sacred question ever asked. I must admit however, initially it took a good minute to get into The Sitting Swing. I found myself asking the very question Irene herself was asking. What did she want? - Followed by wanting to know if she had done something to be forced into treatment? If she was forced, why? If she went voluntarily, again why? What happened?

Ironically, what makes this memoir powerful, it was the volatile relationship with her mother that not only addressed that very sacred question, but in a most uncanny manner brought The Sitting Swing full-circle. I was quite intrigued by the end. Reflecting back on the mother's purpose; purposes her mother clearly believed in, though guilelessly and naively followed, coupled by the principles Irene pursued in finding her purpose was absolutely edifying.

With purpose our life is more meaningful, rewarding, and enriching. What I believe Irene's mother was trying to show her. But without a purpose we flounder and lose ourselves, the subtle message powdering the center of the book, which comes full circle by the end. Picturesque.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sitting Swing.