Lee's Reviews > A Personal Matter

A Personal Matter by Kenzaburō Ōe
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
90786
's review
May 20, 2007

it was amazing
bookshelves: favorites

If you've never read this one and you're looking for a shortish novel that rocked hard enough to win the dude the Nobel Prize, something you can read before the weekend ends, something with serious existential, historical, and cultural HEFT, but also relatively easy reading, here ya go. I taught this in a lit class last fall and several students said it was the best book they'd ever read. Easily in the top ten for me. When people talk about "perfect" novels, an idea I totally glower at, I think of this as an example . . . gets better and better with rereading, too. Bird is not a very good dude for 99% of the novel, but that's the point for the other 1%. Anyway, I find it sort of disheartening that only one of my "friends," some dude I don't even really know, has rated it. Maybe what's wrong with American Letters today is that not enough people have read this late-20th century Japanese masterpiece?!
11 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Personal Matter.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

03/25/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-2 of 2) (2 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

Sofia Read this in Japan (go me) and feel just goshdarn changed by this book


message 2: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee It's a good one -- I gotta read it again (~fifth time) soon!


back to top