Sarah's Reviews > The Children of Green Knowe

The Children of Green Knowe by L.M. Boston

Jan 16, 11

bookshelves: reading-to-or-with-chatterbox

I have given this book 3 stars, though it didn't charm me as much this time as it did when I first read it. I would most probably have given the book 5 stars the first time I read it.

The story is of Toseland - 'Tolly', whose parents send him to live with his great-grandmother in the magical house 'Green Knowe'. The house is very old and is inhabited by the ghosts of various occupants and animals - the book focuses on three children from the time of Charles II. Not only that but there are stories of curses, of witchcraft, of evil trees coming alive, of statues of St Christopher striding about. Yet this is not frightening in the main to Tolly. It gives him a sense of belonging, especially as his grandmother weaves the stories from the past into everyday.

The book generated lots of questions from my daughter, that were hard to answer. Questions about Catholicism (the ghosts being from the time of Charles II lived at a time of great turmoil for Catholics), about witchcraft, about what church is really about, and about ghosts. It is good though, I think, to stimulate minds into questions. I couldn't answer all the questions, but did as well as I could.

My daughter absolutely loved the book. And, despite my parental concerns at some of the themes, it hasn't damaged her [Christian] faith at all and it didn't cause any nightmares. She knows it is a work of fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Children of Green Knowe.

11/28/2010 page 66