Myles's Reviews > Polaroids from the Dead

Polaroids from the Dead by Douglas Coupland

Dec 09, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction, short-stories, essays, literary, music
Read from December 06 to 09, 2010

Polaroids from the Dead sits between Microserfs and Girlfriend in a Coma and is easily seen as a transitional point in Coupland's writing.

The three sections: stories set around Dead culture, pieces of travel writing and memories of Vancouver, and a lengthy bit of meditations on the LA community of Brentwood are thematically tied together with photos ranging from the iconic to the obscure and pages the color of an undeveloped Polaroid.

As in Life After God Coupland drops much of his surface humor and digs under the surface of modern life. He is a quality writer, but I have to admit that my attention started lagging at the last section, I suppose the O.J. Simpson trial and controversy has lost its flash.

That, might actually prove Coupland's point. His writing, in here and elsewhere, mostly deals with the new methods people use to communicate and distance themselves at the same time. His message is just as important in the age of Facebook as it was in the 90s at the dawn of the internet age.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Polaroids from the Dead.

12/06/2010 page 1