di's Reviews > This Child Will Be Great: Memoir of a Remarkable Life by Africa's First Woman President

This Child Will Be Great by Ellen Johnson Sirleaf

Nov 28, 2010

bookshelves: non-fiction-informative

This is not so much a memoir (or even a biography) of Sirleaf as it is a history of Liberia. Sirleaf's telling of her homeland's bloody past is informative, fair, & insightful. It will be interesting for me to follow Liberia's progress now. Sirleaf becoming president is probably one of those times when a ray of light shines down from the heavens.

I rated this 4 stars only because I was hoping for more of a personal account--something along the line of "Left to Tell" or "Life & Death in Shanghai," both of which are about strong women who survive horrific regimes. Sirleaf covers the political history, especially her own involvement, & I learned a ton, but there was no connection to her for me. For instance, she barely mentions her time in prison, although she says it was the most terrified she had ever felt. Her private life is mostly kept private. The writing, while dry at times, was more than adequate, and I am left with a great respect for Sirleaf. While I don't relate to her on many levels, I appreciate her valuable contribution!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Child Will Be Great.

06/18/2016 marked as: read