Keri's Reviews > Altar of Eden

Altar of Eden by James Rollins

Jan 19, 2016

bookshelves: reviewed, horror-suspense, 2010s-read
Read in January, 2011

Lorna is innocently driving to work in Louisiana one morning after a strong storm thinking of how her day is going to go. However, once she gets to work, she finds that she has been told that she is going out to inspect a ship-wrecked boat. What??? She is a vet, what do they need her for? Once she gets there however, she not only has to deal with Jack, a dark and sexy Border Patrol agent from her deep and painful past, she also has to deal with some animals on the ship. Not just any animals mind, special animals the kind that creep into your nightmares at night and make you scream. So begins her and Jack's attempt to find out who, what and where about the animals. The only problem is, the owners know full well where the animals are at and have now sent their own animal in order to get them back. As Lorna and Jack enter the race to not only find answers they also have to figure out how to capture the animal that has escaped and headed toward population. Never mind the animal zeroing in on their location, ready to make a capture of its own.

It is not very often I get a warm fuzzy when I finish a horror/suspense book, for this one I did. JR has a way of taking a situation one may hear about in the news and turning it into a heck of a great story. Your heart is in your throat most of the time and I wanted to go check my windows and doors more than once. Not that it matters to these animals. I also love the thread of romance that JR has running through the story. It is light, but more feelings than touching and kissing, but it was sweet and very fitting for the story. Yes, I wanted more of an ending for Lorna and Jack, but after all it was wrote by a man not a woman, so I will take what I can get.

If you don't often read horror suspense, this may be a book to get your feet wet with. I didn't feel that it was overly graphic as much as scary interesting. It is also a standalone and not apart of a series. As good as this book was though, Amazonia still remains my favorite of his and I am jonesing for some Painter Crowe and Gray Pierce.
8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Altar of Eden.

01/12/2011 page 25
01/12/2011 page 60
15.0% "This is staring to get scary good!" 1 comment
01/12/2011 page 250
63.0% "I don't want to put this book down."

message 1: by SheLove2Read (new)

SheLove2Read Ooh I definitely don't do horror but this is a great review.

Keri Thanks Sherri, it was a great read. Horror isn't my genre as a general rule, but I love James Rollins, so he is an exception.