Lori's Reviews > My Lord John

Jul 03, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: medieval-fict
Read from June 19 to July 03, 2011

I somewhat enjoyed this book about John, Duke of Bedford and younger brother of the man who would become Henry V, especially in the beginning, but found the story dragging toward the end. I particularly enjoyed the interactions of the young John with his grandfather, John of Gaunt. This added another dimension to the man who was the hero of the classic Katherine by Anya Seton.

This book was Heyer's last and she died before completing it. In fact, the manuscript leaves off mid-sentence and the estate and editors apparently decided to publish the manuscript as Heyer left it. The story had really great potential and if Heyer had had the opportunity to edit and revise it, I believe it would have been made much tighter and not drag so much in the later half.

In addition, I read this book on a Kindle. Heyer used many archaic medieval words that were not to be found in the Kindle's built in dictionary. While the book included a glossary in the rear, along with a family tree, neither of these features were easily accessible or readable on the Kindle, requiring the reader to frequently guess at word meanings from the context clues.

All in all, I give the book a 3 star rating because I did love the characterization of John, his father (Henry IV), and Harry (later Henry V). Heyer allowed herself to become bogged down in detail, and while the period is a fascinating one, some of these minute details did little to move the plot along. While I did like the book, I think only fellow die-hard medieval history or Plantagenet Dynasty fans would truly appreciate it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Lord John.

06/19/2011 page 20