Medeia Sharif's Reviews > I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced

I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced by Nujood Ali

Jun 15, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read in June, 2011

Nine-year-old Nujood was betrothed to a man three times her age because her father wanted to “protect” her. If she was married off, then no one could kidnap her or perpetrate some other crime against her in their Yemeni village; also, that was one less mouth for him to feed. The prospective groom vowed not to touch Nujood until she reached puberty. He lied. Once she was under his care, he immediately abused her physically and sexually. But Nujood refused to be his victim. Every day she put up a fight.

Fueled by determination and indignation, Nujood escaped her husband's house. When she told her tale of abuse to those in the legal system and media, people couldn’t help but be moved. She was the first girl in her country to be granted a divorce. Her courage and honesty provided an impetus to publicize, stop, and prevent these types of marriages. Well-written with co-author Delphine Minoui and translator Linda Coverdale, this book has been seared into my memory.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced.