Pam's Reviews > Duma Key

Duma Key by Stephen King

Jan 25, 08

Recommended for: anyone
Read in January, 2008

I've finished the book -- I think it's one of the best he's done in a long time. King blends a ripping good supernatural story with what must have been his own experience in recovering from a horrific accident. It felt very personal without being self-indulgent. I think King is getting some distance from his accident, but he's seeing clearly.

The parts of the book where Edgar talks about the artistic process are beautifully written and insightful. King's written about the artistic process before, but he's on another level here.

-------------
(written earlier)
I'm about 150 pages in and praise be, there's no smucking!

I'm really enjoying it. I think King's done an especially good job with the main character. He's strong without being arrogant, and in pain without being tormented and full of angst. His relationship with his daughter feels natural and real.

I've read all King's stuff -- some of it just because it was King's stuff. Some of it I've forced myself to like just because it was King's stuff. This book feels like something I'd like if it was written by someone else. I'd be thinking "I'm gonna look for more of this guy's stuff."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Duma Key.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam Yeah, the smucking in Lisey's Story killed it for me. I managed about 60 pages. I don't mind couples who have their own language, but in a book, I think it excludes the reader. "Look at us! We're so attuned to each other, we have our own special words. Neener neener!"

Ooh, I ranted. Sorry. :-)

Yeah, I like Edgar's love-hate-laugh-cry thoughts about his ex. He's getting some distance from her, but not quite enough yet.

Bag of Bones isn't my favorite, but I'm getting a Bag of Bones feel in Duma Key. It's the tone, or something. Are the main characters similar? Maybe that's it. Likable guys who lack control.

message 2: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam zac, you've almost convinced me . . . but Duma Key reminds me of how good King can be, when he's not indulging himself. I might try again someday, when I'm in a really, really fine mood.

Koeeoaddi, 20? Wait, that means there are 19 ahead of you. We know how King feels about the number 19. Maybe it'll be lucky for you. Buy a lottery ticket the day you get the book!

Ealaindraoi I'm 44th in line at the interlibrary loan, with 27 copies available. Of course, it IS Maine, where St. Stephen is the state author. Sigh, maybe I'll just go buy a copy.

I agree about the smucking stuff in Lisey's story. But when you think about it, it's a tough thing to show that they had their own shorthand code without using the shorthand code. I read Lisey's Story avidly, because it's King, but it was no where near my favorite, not even in the top ten. But Bag of Bones is in my top ten. (and I liked it even more when I read Rebecca the book that inspired it.)

message 4: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam I hope you don't have too long a wait. I don't know about everyone else, but I'm reading it fairly quickly. I'll be ready to stop for awhile, but then he'll foreshadow something and I can't quit, just a few more pages. I did manage to bake a quiche today though, and something for dinner. Now Idol's on, but after that, it's back to the book.

message 5: by Sandra D (new)

Sandra D I'm #151 in line at my library, with 34 copies available. I might get to read it sometime next year.

message 6: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam Amazon has it discounted at $17. I'll bet the big stores will have discounted copies too -- Costco and Wal-Mart.

Ealaindraoi Nope, not Wal-Mart. I checked yesterday and they still had it marked at full price. I figured I'd check Amazon to see if the price with shipping was cheaper.

Salma I just finished this- I was very happy- I call it a King comeback (after the horror that was Lisey's Story -no pun intended- though I didn't get past Ch.1 so I pro'ly shouldn't talk). But man! I was depressed as hell after I was done. Like I said in my review, this is more of a tragedy than horror. I wasn't really scared- I jumped a bit at parts (upside down flying birds? WTF?) but I liked it more because the writing and feeling and emotion were just packed with so much power and brilliance.