Michael's Reviews > A Cold Day in Paradise

Dec 21, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: 2010, mystery, detective, review
Read from December 11 to 21, 2010

The first Alex McKnight PI book. Mixed feelings about this one. My main problems came with McKnight himself. I didn't like him. He didn't seem to have any spark of detective talent to set himself ahead of the guy in the street. In a profession that relies heavily on talking to people and reading their motivations and veracity, McKnight bludgeons his way through most of his conversations. In fact quite a lot of the dialogue in the book is two people being incredibly obdurate with each other. He seems to antagonise or provoke everybody he meets. The characters didn't grab me throughout unless you count McKnight's sacked predecessor Prudell in two too short scenes. I enjoyed the location: Michigan Upper Peninsula. I generally prefer books set in the more northern reaches of the states. Maybe it's easier for me to identify with the weather condition or maybe I just like reading about people who are colder and wetter than me tucked up in the warm with a hot drink. The writing was an easy read and the supposedly uncomplicated mystery had pleasing hidden depths. Not too bad for a first effort but I hope if I persist with the series that McKnight grows on me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Cold Day in Paradise.