Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)'s Reviews > Night Embrace

bookshelves: i-own
Read in November, 2010

** spoiler alert **
*Contains detailed sex scenes*

I liked this. Not quite as much as I loved the first book, but this was still pretty good.
I thought the storyline was good; fast paced and interesting. I liked the idea that Sunshine was Talon’s wife reincarnated, I thought it was cool.
The only issue I had with the book was how fast things happened between Sunshine and Talon. First he saves her life and then she takes him back to her place after he gets hurt. He then wakes up and they make goo goo eyes at one another for a little bit and next thing you know they’re getting down and dirty, having sex. It all just seemed a bit fast for me.
Other than that I had no real issue with the book. It was very emotional at times, especially towards the end.
Talon was a cool male lead, tormented and sad, but strong and brave. He’d been through so much in his life, and had lost everyone he’d ever loved. You couldn’t help but feel for him.
Sunshine was really funny. She cracked me up with her open opinions and saying whatever came to mind. She was flighty and slightly hippy, but it really worked for her. I loved when she forgot something only to remember and then forget something else and so on. It was cute.

I loved some of the new characters introduced, Zarek, Vane, Fang. They were awesome. Fang had me smiling like mad with his jokes and quips, and I really think there’s more to Vane and him then there appears. I really liked Vane and I’m looking forward to reading his story.
But the person who tugged on my heartstrings the most was Zarek. Oh, I wanted to weep for him at times. Yes, he’s scary as hell, and dark beyond comprehension, but there’s obviously something more to him and every time he tried to do something nice it got thrown in his face. When that little boy was lost and he tried to help him find his mummy, and then when he saw Sunshine and was looking at her bowls.....it’s was so sad the way people automatically jumped to conclusions and assumed he had bad intentions. I really felt for him.
I like seeing more of Acheron too. Ash obviously has something dark deep down inside him. He’s obviously led a hard life, was misunderstood and never really cared for. And the way Artemis treats him.... it’s horrible. When we saw that what happened when he was born I felt oh so sorry for him. He was just a poor little baby and from the very moment he was born no one wanted him. So sad!

So....awesome book, and I can’t wait to read more of the series......

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Embrace.

Quotes Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Liked

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Well", Fang said, mimicking a thick Southern drawl. "I must say its mighty nice of them Daimons to clean up after themselves when you kill them" He held his hands up to them. "Look Ma, no mess."

"Does Fang have an off switch?" Talon asked Vane.”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Nick, fetch my car, fetch my clothes, sweep the chimney, make my bed, watch my psychopath, fetch my slippers.”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Oh, yeah, insanity ran deep in the roots of that family tree.’ (Talon)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“C’mon, Tally. Don’t you want your clothes, your keys? Oh wait, how about some dignity? (Kyrian)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Next time I’ll just send the three of you e-mails. What was I thinking when I decided to have this meeting? (Acheron)
Oh, I know. That men who are a couple of thousand years old could actually behave like grownups? (Nick)
(Zarek elbowed Nick in the stomach.)
Oops. Involuntary arm spasm. (Zarek)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“So, does this make you visibly challenged? (Nick)
No, but if you don’t lay off me, I’m going to make you breathing impaired. (Acheron)”

“We’re screwed. (Nick)
Screwed blue and tattooed. (Acheron)”

“Shut up, Nick. (Talon)
'Shut up, Nick, heel, sit, fetch.’ Love you too, Celt. (Nick)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Ewwww-eee-wwww. Hey Ash, you vant to suck my blud? (Fang)
No, thanks. The last thing I want is to catch parvo from you, or some other freaky dog disease that makes me lift my leg around hydrants. (Acheron)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Hey dickhead, you should know something. You attack my brother, you really piss me off. (Vane)
Hot damn, Daimon food. Hey Vane, you want the white meat or dark? (Fang)
How about I grab one leg, you grab the other and we make a wish and pull? (Vane)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Can you take human form in daylight? (Talon)
Obviously so. Ever tried to answer a phone without opposable thumbs? (Vane)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“If everyone does as I’ve instructed, then things should work out the way they’re meant to. (Acheron)
And if we don’t? (Talon)
We’re all screwed. (Acheron)
Gee, Ash, you’re just so damn comforting. (Nick)
I try to be anyway. (Acheron)
You fail admirably. (Nick)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“What are you? (a Daimon)
Oh please, let me give you the job description. Me, Dark-Hunter. You, Daimon. I hit, you bleed. I kill, you die. (Zarek)”