Michael's Reviews > Disclosure

Disclosure by Michael Crichton

M_50x66
Nov 29, 10

bookshelves: fiction

CD-ROMs! Small (aka, hilariously clunky) cell phones! Modems! Virtual reality! Sexual harassment lawsuits! And hey, what's this Internet thing?

Yes, it's ripped right from the headlines... of the early 90s. Which is fine, that's when the book was written, but it's so funny how the book trying so hard to seem contemporary and topical makes it feel dated that much sooner.

So it was fine, it kept me reading.

But... I'm not sure it actually all came together in the end.

(SPOILERS)

OK, at the end, we find out that Meredith's goal was to get rid of Tom, so that she wouldn't be blamed for her screw ups. Fine, but... how exactly was she planning on doing that? It was clearly her intent to actually have sex with him. When that didn't work out, she decided to file the false sexual harassment complaint, but what was the original plan? The only thing I can figure is that maybe she was going to blackmail him, him being a married man and so on... but this is not at all clear, and it feels more like it just wasn't thought out very well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Disclosure.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jishnu Bhattacharya well she wasn't really into it, as Tom says later. I guess she would have accused him of rape.

Scott Marley Sexual harassment was her goal to out Tom whether he willingly had sex with her or not. As soon as he was alone with her in the office he was doomed.