Kiera Beddes's Reviews > Kilmeny of the Orchard

Kilmeny of the Orchard by L.M. Montgomery

Nov 27, 10

bookshelves: eng-420, pre-1920
Read from November 26 to 27, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Genre: historical fiction? romance (good romance, not bodice ripping romance)
Summary: Eric Marshall is a well-to-do, polite college graduate who substitutes as a country schoolmaster for a sickly friend. In the quaint town of Lindsay, Eric chances upon the achingly beautiful Kilmeny in an abandoned orchard. Of course, it's summertime and beautiful outside. Eric falls madly in love. The only fly in the ointment is the fact that Kilmeny is a mute. She can hear perfectly and even laugh out loud sometimes(really?) but she can't speak. Kilmeny loves Eric too, over the course of their meetings, but she refuses to marry him unless she can speak. Eric has a doctor friend who meets Kilmeny and decides that her affliction is all psychological, she will speak if she has the occasion to. One day, Eric is about to be attacked by a jealous, Italian born servant boy of Kilmeny's household, and to warn Eric, Kilmeny learns to speak. All is well, and everyone lives happily ever after.
Response: Despite my sarcastic tone in describing the plot, I really did enjoy this book. I always love Montgomery's work. I am a huge Anne aficionado, but my admiration stems more from just love of Anne Shirley. I love Montgomery's impossible love of life, her descriptions of nature, and just the utter romance and sentimentality of it all. It's a beautiful little book about a beautiful little love story. So what if the plot seems a little forced and old fashioned? It's part of its charm. I will always love Montgomey, I think. Her books are the kind that is good to read all year round, all cozy in a book nook somewhere warm with a great view. Her books make me want to be philosophical and hopelessly romantic and to really enjoy life and love.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kilmeny of the Orchard.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Denise Kuntz I agree with your review 100%!