Page (One Book At A Time)'s Reviews > Revolution

1812013
Jan 02, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read from October 27 to 31, 2011

I've wanted to read this for awhile, but I think I was hesitate because it deals with the French Revolution. I haven't been overly impressed with what I've read concerning that time period so far. Honestly, I think this was the voice that I had been missing all along.

I initially had a hard time getting into the book. The beginning is really slow and I was wondering if I was missing something everyone else picked up on. But, the minute Andi arrives in Paris, I was hooked. It was like Andi needed the change of scenery to being to live again. Donnelly really manages to bring Paris to life for me. It's not the everyday tourist locations in this story. It's Paris as the French see it (both in the past and the present). I loved the parts with the catacombs. I confess I don't know much about them and they sound fascinating.

Andi herself was an interesting character. I've read other books were the character is depressed and even ones that are slightly suicidal. Andi takes all of this to a brand new level. I really felt her despair. I might not have agreed with her thought processes sometimes, but I understood what lead her there. I loved watching her interact with Virgil. It's one of the most subtle and sweetest romances I've seen in YA fiction. Their connections through music was awesome! It was great to see Andi open up to someone. She's closed herself off for too long.

I think my favorite parts were the voice of Alex through her diaries. She's what I had been missing in those stories about the French Revolution. I think she truly lived in the horror of it. She saw both sides and knew the fine line she was walking. But, she also cared for the Royal Family and especially the young dauphin. In the end she was willing to risk her life to show him that there was someone out there who still cared about him. Her story was really touching.

I'm a music and history person, so this really was the right combination for me. I didn't tear through it like I normally do a 5 star book. But, the story touched me and it's one that I likely won't forget anytime soon.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revolution.

Quotes Page (One Book At A Time) Liked

Jennifer Donnelly
“Stop yelling. If everyone’s yelling, no one can be heard.”
Jennifer Donnelly, Revolution

10/31/2011 page 496

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jennifer Lane Great review. I've never been to Paris but the author makes it sound like a magical place now and a terrifying place back then. I really enjoyed the violin parts of the story.