Kiera Beddes's Reviews > Miracle's Boys

Miracle's Boys by Jacqueline Woodson

Nov 27, 2010

bookshelves: eng-420, award-winner, required-author
Read on November 27, 2010

Genre:family relationships, grief, gang, poverty
Summary: Lafayette Bailey is the youngest of three boys, in a family that must band together after their mother's death. Most of the plot is driven by the relationships between the three brothers as they come to terms with their grief and changes within each of them. Charlie, who Lafayette calls "Newcharlie", has just gotten out of a juvenile detention center for robbing a candy store at gun point. Charlie is angry, mean and flirting with gangs. Ty'ree is their older brother, who after their mother passed away, didn't go to MIT as planned but started working full-time and became a legal guardian to his brothers.
Response: This book is very similar to S.E. Hinton's The Outsiders , but perhaps in a more modern, multicultural way. The Bailey boys are half African American, half-Puerto Rican (I think, I am not completely sure). I really liked this book, again, because I felt like I could identify with the poor boys. Not that my parents have died and I am not responsible for my younger sisters, but I have had troubles with a younger sibling, so it was interesting to see it from a sibling's point of view. I am glad that the boys were able to work out their problems. The book didn't end with happily ever after, more like the possibility of such an ending. I feel like they will still have hardships to deal with, but I think they are at a point in their lives where they can make their lives better than what it has been.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miracle's Boys.