Rachel's Reviews > Angel

Angel by L.A. Weatherly

Apr 05, 11

bookshelves: net-galley
Read from April 03 to 04, 2011, read count: 1

What if angels weren’t the benevolent beings depicted on the domed ceilings of churches? What if they weren’t even the fierce warrior heroes of so many stories?

What if instead they were beings who took pleasure feeding off the life force of humans – more vampiric than angelic in nature? What if they were the cause of cancer. Heart attacks. Pain. Death. And all for what? For their survival and pleasure.

And, what if their feeding off your life force made you feel admiration for them and left you in awe and indebted to them for their graciousness?

What if they made you desire the very thing that was killing you?

Would you erect churches in their honor? Hunt down their enemies just for the privilege of being near them to be fed on like cattle? You would. Because to feel angel burn is to know bliss.

***

Angel Burn is an incredibly inventive and immensely entertaining thrill-ride of a read that will suck you right up into the action, starting off with an explosive prologue that will completely alter every preconceived notion about angels you have held.

Alex Kylar is a killer. A hired assassin. It’s his sole purpose in life to find and kill angels before they destroy the entire human population with their angel burn. Isolated and alone, he receives his orders by text and executes them flawlessly.

But when Alex meets Willow he begins to question everything he believes in and learns that although he may have wanted to give up on love, his heart says otherwise.

Angel Burn is the story of two people who must come together to fight against a common enemy and save humanity from an unimaginably dismal future.

Angel Burn moves with such fluidity as you are carried through the story, which alternates between Willow’s perspective, told in the first person, and Alex’s perspective, which is in third person. The characters journey is filled with moments that are both beautiful and torturous.

This story is a must read for anyone looking for a very different take on the angel theme, and a story filled with adventure and true love.

On a personal note:

I wasn’t sure what to expect when I got approved for Angel Burn from NetGalley. I had it on my wish list for a long time at Amazon because it was about angels, but I knew little else.

When I finally had a chance to open it on my eReader I was blown away. The prologue was such an amazing surprise. It really was the epitome of cool. And from that moment on I just knew that I would love this book.

The action and the pace kept me on the edge of my seat for most of the story, except for the lovey-dovey mountaintop scenes, which were sweet and heart-warming.

I cannot wait to see what happens in the next book in this series. I think I’m a little bit in love with Alex Kylar. And while it’s not a complete cliffhanger, things are looking pretty bleak.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angel.