Mary Lou's Reviews > for colored girls who have considered suicide/when the rainbow is enuf

for colored girls who have considered suicide/when the rainbo... by Ntozake Shange

F 50x66
Nov 27, 10

bookshelves: 2010
Read in November, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Skinny little book in which seven women, each dressed in a different color, reveal experiences of colored women in America. The title really says it all except that the women who survive well recognize their own self worth. From Wikipedia founder, " Structurally, For Colored Girls is a series of 20 poems, collectively called a "choreopoem." Shange's poetry expresses the many struggles and obstacles that African-American women face throughout their lives. It is performed by a cast of seven women characters, each of whom is known only by a color: "Lady in Yellow," "Lady in Purple," etc. The poems deal with love, abandonment, rape, and abortion, embodied by each woman's story, e.g. Lady in Blue's visceral account of a woman who chooses to have an abortion, and Lady in Red's tale of domestic violence. The end of the play brings together all of the women for "a laying on of hands," in which Shange evokes the power of womanhood as the Lady in Red begins the mantra "I found God in myself/and I loved her/I loved her fiercely."

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read for colored girls who have considered suicide/when the rainbow is enuf.