P.Reviewer's Reviews > Nothing But Trouble

Nothing But Trouble by Rachel Gibson

F 50x66
Nov 27, 2010

Let me just start off by saying that Rachel Gibson is absolutely AMAZING! I tend to lean towards reading historical romances, but I love reading a good contemporary every now and then. “Nothing but Trouble” by Rachel Gibson is a fun and sexy read with compelling characters.

The heroine and hero: Our heroine, Chelsea, is an altogether different type of heroine. She’s an actress who has only gotten “slutty bimbo” roles because of her large breasts. In order to make money to get a breast-reduction surgery, she agrees to become an assistant to Mark Bressler, the surly former hockey player. Mark is a brooding hero in his own right. It’s almost painful to read about his life after the accident because what he loved most was taken from him: the ability to play hockey. Chelsea brings sunshine into his life, and their influence on each other is completely believable. Mark changes his outlook on life and realizes that there are other things worth living for. And Chelsea realizes that there are people out there who love her no matter what and completely support her decisions/career. This is significant for Chelsea because even with her sister, she always felt as if it was her against the world.

The Romance: It was a poignant romance and I liked that Mark and Chelsea actually spent time together. In many romances, the hero and heroine fall in love the first week of knowing each other. Mark and Chelsea take time (months) to break down their individual barriers and get past their own conflicts. A minor quibble in terms of the actual romance is that Mark and Chelsea too often descend into lusting after each other. It was completely believable that they fell in love by the end of the novel, but I think Gibson gives us too much lust rather than love leading up till the end. The second half of the novel is literally Mark and Chelsea having mind-blowing sex. But overall, Gibson does a great job of portraying, especially towards the end, that Mark and Chelsea felt lust and love for each other. There’s a beautiful scene at the very end of the novel that I think you’ll love!

The Verdict: A-
The only thing that stopped this novel from recieving a pure “A” is that there was a little too much lustin’ and not enough lovin’! But in the end, it was completely believable that Chelsea and Mark loved each other and would have a long-lasting relationship.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nothing But Trouble.