Msmurphybylaw's Reviews > My Year of Meats

My Year of Meats by Ruth Ozeki

Nov 27, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: bloody-bully, chick-lit, condescending-narrative, bookclub
Read from November 27, 2010 to January 12, 2011

Not sure why I didn't like this book more. I think it is a good fem read but it got so preachy about the big bad meat industry that it lost its edge. The plot device took over the plot.
The stories of the women were a little too neatly tamed and the love story was really fucked up.

**Spoiler**
How could anyone be happy in a relationship that begins with an apology for one's own miscarriage?
Did love the integration of Shonagon and the Pillow Book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Year of Meats.

message 1: by j (new) - rated it 4 stars

j the virulent anti-meat industry bias was why i liked this book so much!

Msmurphybylaw I was expecting some virulence, but it overthrew the stories of the women and their struggles with daily life.
It kind of felt like a term paper in the middle of the book. And it was so thumpy with beef, but ok with lamb and poultry. I would have been ok with the anti-meat statement, but it didn't really jibe with vegetarianism.
I think that is why it kind of fell flat for me after reading it. It wasn't threaded tightly enough.

message 3: by j (new) - rated it 4 stars

j good points, perhaps. i read it years ago (2003?). i wouldn't mind a re-read. all i remember is kudzu and a well-developed 5-year-old (meat hormones).

Msmurphybylaw Ha ha. The kudzu was interesting and Rose was a touching and sad story.
I liked the book, I just really wanted to like it more.