Kjersti's Reviews > The Problem of Pain

The Problem of Pain by C.S. Lewis

Jan 16, 11

bookshelves: books-i-own
Read from January 12 to 14, 2011

I absolutely loved this book. I laughed, I blurted out loud "HA!"s between classes and generally forgot about time and place. It's very, VERY good book. My only concern with this review is on my side; I had a goal to get through it in three days, which I did. Thus, there were some parts I read through without the attention I probably should have devoted to it. I don't usually like writing reviews where the fault is with me; but alas, here I am.

As for content, CS Lewis has, as always, very well thought-out arguments and a logical approach to his content. There were a couple minor instances where I disagreed with ever-so-slightly, but I had no concerns even close to major. If you want to compare this to his other works, I find it's slightly weaker than his later books.. But that does in no way mean this is poor craftmanship. Surely, to improve with time is a positive thing, and you cannot hold that against him.

All in all, I loved it and I'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind a theoretical approach to things.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Problem of Pain.

Quotes Kjersti Liked

C.S. Lewis
“A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word 'darkness' on the walls of his cell.”
C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain

01/12/2011 page 16
01/12/2011 page 50
28.0% "I LOVE how this one slid Kite Runner off my "currently reading"-list. That one has been bugging me, considering I can't really read more tha...moreI LOVE how this one slid Kite Runner off my "currently reading"-list. That one has been bugging me, considering I can't really read more than a third at the time... And I'd rather read it all during a short time span than over several months and lose the flow altogether."
01/12/2011 page 50
28.0% "Such a marvellous read.. (And I LOVE how this one slid Kite Runner off my "currently reading"-list. That one has been bugging me...)" 2 comments
01/13/2011 page 91
52.0% ""Some enlightened people would like to banish all conceptions of retribution or desert from their theory of punishment and place its value wholly in the deterrence of others or the reform of the criminal himself. They do not see that by doing so they render all punishment unjust.""
01/13/2011 page 120